Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Daiana Duran
Essay 3, draft 3
February 17, 2009

The Top Three Most Important Events in my Life

“Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans,” said John Lennon. Many events occur in your life- proceedings that you forget and others that you remember all the time. These events may have made an important mark in you, sometimes they were awful and sometimes they were enjoyable. For me the things that I want to keep in mind were important incidents that in one or another way opened a door in my life and made me happy. Three events that are the top most important for me were, when I moved from Dominican Republic to New York City, my sister birthdays, and when my best friend got pregnant.
I moved from Dominican Republic to New York City on March 3, 2006. It was a significant change in my life. In Dominican Republic I was in college studying business with a part time job as a lawyer’s assistant, and I had a lot of friends. I never thought about moving to another country. Also I did not know anything about New York. My family had been planning to travel since I was eleven years old, but the process to get all the legal documents was completed many years later. “Make your decision,” my parents told me. “We are all going together, and it is going to be the best option for our future,” they said. So I made the choice. I stopped my college career, and I spoke with my boss and friends. They were happy but at the same time melancholy. The day of the flight was the saddest day in my life. Leaving my house, my neighborhood, my cat, my friends was so hard for me. I knew that nothing would be the same, and it was right. When I came to New York the environment, the language, the money and the weather were so different and complicated. Dominican Republic is a Caribbean country, the weather does not change so much. The weather in New York changes so drastically; if it is winter, it is really cold, and if it is summer, it is really hot. However the mouths suddenly vanished. Now almost three years later I know that my parents had the reason for moving. it was complicated in the beginning, but The United States offer us an enhanced life with better jobs and a good education.
Not only was moving to New York important in my life, my sister birthdays are too. Yincely is one year younger than me. She was born in August 1985. We have the same taste in clothes and music, and we have the same friends. She is so beautiful and I love her so much. Making her happy produces the same effect in me. Sometimes I thought that if she was not here, my life would be a disaster. She gives her support all the time and she is always with me. My life would not be complete without her. The mouth before of her birthday I always begin to make a plan for her surprise party. I look for ideas in Internet and I visited all the party stores secretly. It is not difficult to make a plan because her birthday is in the summer and we love the beach. So the last year the celebration was in Robert Moses Park in Long Island, NY, and it was a Hawaiian party with all the decorations and food and drinks were based on Hawaiian culture. It was great and she enjoyed it so much and it made me so happy. Every year I wait impatiently for her birthday.
More than my moving to New York and my sister birthdays, another important event in my life was when my best friend got pregnant. Esperanza is two year older than me. She lives in Dominican Republic and she always was with me when I needed her. When I cried for a failed test in the school or when I was sick. When she got married I could not go to the celebration because I was here in New York, but I was so happy. Her dreams was always to get married and to have a baby; however things did not seem good in the beginning. She had many problems to getting pregnant. She had to visit the doctor many times and each time she called me before hand to give her support, but at the end the result was always the same: no baby. Finally after a medical treatment she got pregnant and I was so glad for her. That day I felt like it was me who had a baby. Now her baby is my baby too. I feel like part of her family.
Like John Lennon said the things that happens while we are doing another things are what really important. We live through the experiences that we have with other people that we love. That happened to me. The important events in my life were moments that I shared with my family and my friends. The day I moved from Dominican Republic to New York City, my sister birthdays and the day I knew that my best friend got pregnant are the top three events that I never going to forget. Theses moments made a mark in my life and make me really happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment